Sunday, February 03, 2008

Some Musings

Life has really been hectic the last few months. Christmas was a busy time both for the family and in homeschooling. Our youngest had to perform with his class in the school's Christmas show. This was rather traumatizing for him because he has a big case of stage fright. He managed to get up on stage, but all he did was stand there. He didn't sing any of the songs or take part in the show. At least he made it up there.

We have made the decision to homeschool our middle child again next year. He is doing so well in homeschool that we feel we really made the right choice. However, next year he would be going to the middle school which is not close to our house, so I doubt that we will be able to get the school to let him come for just the French classes that he currently takes at the elementary school. It means that I will be trying to find something to replace those classes, either through some type of program that he and I can do together or through tutors somehow. I've found a program that would be good and easy for our son to use somewhat independently, but the price of the program is pretty high. The price of tutors would be high too, but at least they would be spaced out over time. The tutors would end up costing more in the long run, though. "Sigh."

We will be starting The Outsiders soon. I've never taught the entire book before, just parts of the book, so I'm looking forward to readin it through myself. We are working on the human body, the skeleton, organs etc. right now in Science. Math is going well too. He is finally starting to 'get' the multiplication tables. It's too bad he didn't get them in school, because he is really good in math generally, but got bogged down because he didn't learn the tables. He is doing great in Spelling and handwriting. I can finally read his writing now.

I will be posting more about my research for next year soon. Keep checking back.

No comments: